Thursday, March 8, 2012

White Chicken Chili

Lia was incredibly nice and made me and Steven a bunch of freezer meals after the baby was born (bless you, Lia!). Not surprisingly, all of the meals were delicious, and I coaxed Lia into giving me all the recipes, so I will be posting them here over the next little bit.

I don't think I've ever come across a White Chicken Chili that I didn't like, but this one is particularly delicious and fast. I made a few modifications to fit what I had on hand, but it still turned out very good. Here's what I did instead: I poached 1 pound of frozen chicken breasts (see this tutorial) in the chicken broth that the recipe calls for, and then put the chicken into the kitchenaid to shred it (so much easier than using a fork). I used cheddar cheese instead of pepper jack and half-and-half instead of the cream. I also used frozen corn instead of canned corn and regular tortilla chips instead of fried tortilla strips.

4 Chicken Breasts (cooked and shredded – rotisserie chicken is good)
3 Cans Chicken Broth (I used 5 cups)
1 onion, sautéed in 2 Tbsp Butter
2 small cans diced green chilies
2 cans black beans (drained)
2 cans white corn (drained)
1 can white beans (drained)
1 seasoning packet McCormick’s White Chicken Chili (Walmart)
heavy cream – to your liking

Serve with:
Grated pepper jack cheese
Sour cream
Fried Tortilla strips

Saute onion in butter, add chicken and broth. Add green chilies, beans, corn, and seasoning packet. When heated through, add heavy cream. Serve with a dollop of sour cream, sprinkle of cheese, and tortilla strips.

Makes enough for dinner for me and Steven and lunch for both of us for two days.

Source: Lia

1 comment:

  1. I usually make this in the crockpot with raw chicken and then shred the chicken before serving. I add the beans later too, so they get hot but not too mushy.

    ReplyDelete