Friday, February 10, 2012

Wisconsin Cauliflower Soup

Loisann gave me a copy of her ward's cookbook last summer and I've found several recipes that I like in it. This soup is one of them. It is easy to make and super creamy, while still being quite healthy (since it is full of cauliflower and it uses milk rather than cream or half-and-half). It is also vegetarian if you replace the chicken broth with vegetable broth.

The spiciness of the soup depends a lot on how much cauliflower you use and how spicy your pepper jack is. I've found that using a bigger head of cauliflower makes a less bland (and healthier) soup. Last time I made this I used Cache Valley jalapeno pepper jack and I liked it a lot more than the times I've made it with Great Valley pepper jack--it just had more kick. Hope you enjoy!

2 Tbsp butter
1 medium onion, chopped
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups milk**
1 1/2 cups water**
1 can chicken broth (approx. 1 3/4 cups)
1 head cauliflower, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 teaspon Dijon mustand
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup pepper jack cheese (sometimes I add an extra tablespoon or two more)

**Can substitute 1 can {12 oz} evaporated milk and 2 cups water for the 2 cups milk and 1 1/2 cups water.

In a 4-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and saute until soft. Stir in flour and salt; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Gradually stir in milk, chicken broth, and 1 1/2 cups water; add cauliflower and heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer until cauliflower is tender, about 10 minutes. Pour into vitamix and blend until smooth (I think I turned the variable to 10 for about 20 seconds, but I can't exactly remember--just blend until smooth). Add mustard and cheese and stir (variable 3 or 4 for a few seconds).

Makes 9 cups (more than enough for dinner and lunch leftovers for me and Steve).

Source: Lorie Posey, in The Eastridge Neighborhood Cookbook

2 comments:

  1. I made this today. It was delicious! (I used a bag of taco blend cheese instead of the 2 different types.)

    ReplyDelete