Sunday, January 13, 2013

Pumpkin Soup with Garam Marsala

Oh my gosh! I made the best soup tonight and I wanted to document the various things I did since I modified a few recipes. It was so good.

Makes enough for 2 very hungry people to eat a lot on fast Sunday and at least 1 more day...probably 6 servings?

Ingredients:

  • 4 C cooked pumpkin chunks (I cut up a pumpkin, placed it skin side up (without removing seeds or slimy stuff inside) and baked for about 2 hours at 350. I probably didn't need to bake that long but it makes it easier to remove. After it's cool the seed part scrapes off really easily and the pumpkin can be chopped and cut off the skins.
  • 4 T butter
  • 2 onions, chopped (I use the veggie chopper)
  • 4 carrots, chopped (veggie chopper again)
  • 2 applies, peeled and chopped (peeled and then...yes...veggie chopper)
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 2 tsp garam marsala (you could add more. It has just a tiny kick with this much but dad doesn't like things too spicy.)
Saute the above in a big soup pot for 8-10 minutes. It's ok if things start to get sort of mushy because you'll be pureeing it.

Add 2 c water (or chicken broth--I made my own broth so I just add water and then put the bullion in later) to vitamix. Add sauteed veggies. It will be really full so start slow and get it pureed nicely.

Pour back into pan and add 4 more cups chicken brother. (so you'll have 6 cups chicken broth total.)

Add 1 can of coconut milk and simmer for 5 min; don't boil.

Add salt and ground pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment